Sunday, September 8, 2019

Who do you think you are?

My media consumption is mainly provided by the most basic sources available to us, which is various social media platforms. Whether it be Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. I feel as if social media is a double-edged sword in the terms that it is unethical to use yet millions of people indulge in using social media as their main source of information regarding current events. Personally, my media consumption is largely attributed to Instagram and sadly that is my main source of information regarding current events. It wasn't until I started to follow certain media pages that I realized my feed is cluttered with ineffective information. I was not learning anything new or events that were happening at the time. My knowledge of current events still does not supersede others but I know enough to where I would be able to conversate with others.

As far as critiquing media, it is done by every consumer. I critique media in the terms my thoughts and align them with whatever information I am given. I am not concerned about other peoples feelings when I voice my honest opinion. An example would be whenever Trump gets on twitter and tweets some nonsense. Either he is throwing threats to North Korea or more recently threatening Sweden to release an American rapper named ASAP Rocky. My media creation stems from me reacting to the news around me. A way I create media is by reposting or commenting about someone's tweet. It is unfathomable to think that Trump is running the country from twitter. It seems as if he is conducting his duties as a president from sending empty threats, and spewing premature thoughts.

Almost all of our shared common experiences have been because of mass media's images, events, and stories. An example is 9/11, I was a year old when it occurred but because of mass media, I still know what happened and how that tragic event has been stamped in everyone's memories. Media has collected images, videos, and eyewitness accounts to illustrate documentaries about it which is accessible to the public. Back to the ASAP Rocky situation where he was wrongly arrested for a scuffle with a stalker in Sweden, as soon as he announced he was going to be arrested social media was set ablaze. Fans and supporters sending hateful and negative comments to the country of Sweden and its law enforcement.  A couple days later people got together and started a petition to free Rocky which gained over 300 K signatures. This shared common experience of rage from Rocky supporters really pushed Sweden into releasing him only a month after the incident.

I think the media covers activists and activism as a method to gain popularity rather than helping their cause. Sometimes the media twists words and motives to cause conspiracy and create friction between the activists and the non-believers. I think that the motive to purely create hysteria and amass popularity is absurdly unethical. The media's good is to inform and some news outlets are stretching and severely exaggerating the truth to the point where they aren't even providing credible information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment