Monday, September 30, 2019

Lemmerman Gallery/Gallery Response-Mariah Torres











“Towers on a Menacing Sky” is a piece painted by Allan Gorman. The image displays an electrical tower that stands tall against a red and black sky. Gorman had painted these towers in an angle where the viewer feels tinier and more intimidated. This painting reminds me of Secaucus Road, a small highway that connects Secaucus and Jersey City. The highway runs through a field with occasional trucking companies and factories such as Goya. Also, this area is home to various electrical towers. Seeing this painting in the Lemmerman Gallery definitely gave me some nostalgic feelings, but also scares me. It intrigued me on how I felt nervous when I studied the picture, even though I pass by these electrical towers every single day.
                Allan Gorman, born in Brooklyn, New York in 1947, is a visual art professional who was known for his photorealistic pieces. Gorman had a fascination with machinery and vehicles. In his past works, he captures the geometrical shapes of machines. “I strive to make art that is unique to me, and interesting enough to make its own statement” (Gorman, Allen). Gorman had several artists that influenced him to name a few, Richard Estes, Robert Cottingham, and Wayne Thiebault. These artists emerged in the mid-60s and early 70s in the West Coast. These artists were known for their geometrical artworks involving machines and vehicles. Using the inspiration from the artists, Gorman had made his artworks for the consumers to capture the mood and aesthetic. “I ask viewers to share a journey of discovery with me and hope they’ll become as excited and fascinated and moved as I am about the beauty that can be found in what’s often taken for commonplace… I use this notion to inform my choices of what to present” (Gorman, Allen).
                This work is an example of intervention because I feel that the electrical tower plays the antagonist in nature. Humankind has built this to benefit ourselves not for any other species, which disrupts nature. When I would pass these electrical towers when I ride the bus, I don’t think twice about them. After seeing this image, I pass by these towers and think what other things that man-made items that may destroy nature. This can serve as an activism piece because it draws consumers to examine the image. Going back to Gorman’s statement, his goal as an artist is to have the consumer to become fascinated and moved as he was. The message in this piece is that Gorman wanted the consumer to share an experience and to look closely to his work.








Deer in Moonlight is a piece printed by Edward Fausty. The piece presents a forest area that is partly lighted by the sun. Towards the left of the image, is a home that rests on a hill with a single deer in front of it. I was fascinated by the quality of the image. It felt almost surreal like it was a painting. This reminds me of the northern parts of Jersey since it is mostly forests.
                Edward Fausty is a photographer and printmaker. He currently runs an art studio in Boonton, New Jersey. Fausty has a fascination for starry night skies and captures them in his works. This work can be an example of intervention because in this photo because the sky is not the main focus of the photo. Upon viewing this photo, the eyes fall against the house and the deer. I think the message conveyed in this piece can be that the house disrupts the deer’s home. Viewing Fausty’s past works show clear night skies with bright stars. Seeing the sky covered in this photo is unusual for his style.


https://www.thejcast.com/listings/njcu-lemmerman-gallery/
http://www.edwardfausty.com
https://issuu.com/arthabens/docs/biennial.ed.vol.i/84

No comments:

Post a Comment