Monday, December 2, 2019

Post 3 Inspiration


Image result for laverne cox activism"While there are countless activists who played significant roles in LGBTQ Movements, I want to shed light and on two women who really stuck out to me. Marsha P Johnson and Laverne Cox are two women who boldly stood up for what they believed in with or without support. I was first introduced to Laverne Cox when she aired on Orange is the Black. I was drawn to her character because of how different she looked and seemed from every other woman in the prison. I was poorly educated about the LGTBQ because it was shamed culturally. But I was also drawn to her character because of her outstanding morals and her self-assurance. She had an aura about her that screamed out “I KNOW WHO I AM!” Laverne knew her rights and stood by them. She protested and fought all throughout the 2 seasons she was on the show. Cox has been outspoken about access to health care for LGBTQ communities and has particularly championed the rights of trans people and people of color. 

Sylvia Rivera, left, and Marsha P. Johnson at a protest in New York City in 1973.Marsha P Johnson was both a drag performer and a vibrant character in the Greenwich Village street life. Marsha advocated tirelessly on behalf of sex workers, prisoners those affected by HIV/AIDS. She is also believed to have been the key figure in the June 1969 Stonewall Uprising. Marsha boldly fought police as they wrongfully raided the gay bar, The Stonewall, on Christopher Street. The next year June 1970 marked the first gay pride. Marsha P. Johnson stood at the center of New York City's gay liberation movement for nearly 25 years. But LGBTQ rights weren't her only cause. She was on the front lines of protests against oppressive policing. She helped found one of the country's first safe spaces for transgender and homeless youth. All while draped in dashing outfits and flower headpieces and armed, people who knew her to say, with a vibrant smile.
These two women are prime examples of the type of support the LGTBQ community needs. People who will fight effortlessly and wholeheartedly. These aren’t people that were highlighted during my childhood but if I knew there were black queer women standing up for what they believed in and for those who didn’t have the courage to, it would’ve changed so much for me. I would’ve been comfortable with myself, and my sexuality. I am grateful I know about these amazing women now to spread the knowledge. 
Marsha was a walking piece of art she Always dressed like how felt on the inside: bright and stunning. These activists didn’t really do art activism, most of the activism was through protesting. They marched, going against “social norms” and fought with powerful words. 


Work Cited

No comments:

Post a Comment