Friday, December 20, 2019

Feast and Famine

Market Emma Wilcox 2007 silver green print
This semester our class went to a field trip to the Rutgers Paul Robeson Galleries at Express in Newark, New Jersey. The exhibit they have is called “Feast & Famine”. “Feast & Famine” explores food as a social, political and bodily experience. The exhibit shows the viewer the relationship between food, death, and sex. It also expresses its likeness as a medium for artistic freedom. The artists draw attention to the impact that food production has on the world as a whole. While I was exploring the gallery I was in search for some art projects that could relate to my final project for this class which is the legalization of marijuana and the effects it has on prison reform. As I was desperately searching the gallery for something that related to my topic I noticed a couple pieces that caught my attention. The first piece that caught my attention was actually two pieces that to me signified the same message or idea. This idea was the supermarket, and how foods and goods are bought and sold. I related this to my project because now people can go to supermarkets just like the ones that are depicted in the pictures and buy marijuana just like any other product. The pieces name is Market by Emma Wilcox made in 2007 out of silver green print. Another piece that caught my attention with the same exact idea is a piece that was actually hanging on the wall right beside the first piece that I chose. Its name is Saturday Morning made by Gladys Barker Grauer in 1981 out of wax resist.
Saturday Morning
Gladys Barker Grauer
1981
Wax Resist

The last piece that caught my attention was a collection of photographs of people that are all suffering from different illnesses whether it be mental or physical.This project stuck out to me because Marijuana has been used since the beginning of time as a source of medicine and a healing remedy. Doctors are just recently starting to admit that marijuana and the compounds in it ( THC/CBD) are actually curing sick people of certain symptoms. Doctors are just now getting the courage to start experimenting with the compounds in marijuana, and it has turned out to work for the best so far. Using medical marijuana can cure depression, anxiety, anorexia, Epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease, glaucoma, muscle spasms, pain, appetite loss, Chrons disease, and so much more. "The greatest amount of evidence for the therapeutic effects of cannabis relate to its ability to reduce chronic pain, nausea and vomiting due to Chemotherapy and spasticity [tight or stiff muscles] from MS," Bonn-Miller says.
               



No comments:

Post a Comment