Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Just another statistic


I chose to do my semester project on police brutality toward black men. It is a topic that is close to my heart because I have three younger brothers and there are times when I fear for their safety when they go out of my sight. Using the #BlackLivesMatter art as inspiration, I chose to make a collage of my favorite young men in my life to go along with the interview I did with my mentor about his experiences dealing with the police. This topic is something that is constantly talked about in the news to the point where it seems as regular as whether or not it is going to rain this week. In the book Seeing Power Nato Thompson writes, “A criticism, that rears its head over and over again in the critical left community is that a given project was either ‘preaching to the choir’ or ‘didn’t make sense to any people’” (145). Something to note is that if this issue is to be resolved it must be brought to the forefront of the countries mind at all times.
When working on this project it required me to do a lot of statistical research on police killings to African Americans and the results were very startling. I learned that the majority of information is very skewed towards inaccuracy. This is due to the coroners, police, and investigators inaccuracy labeling the causes of death. I have always known that the reports could not have been accurate for there are many cases of trigger-happy cops that reach for their firearm first and ask questions second. In the cases of brutality, I learned that the most endangered sector of the black male community is our young adult men. Men from 18-25 are much more likely to be harassed by an officer. The percentages reduce as they get older however, there is still an alarmingly disproportionate rate of attacks on black men than white men by the police.
Working on this project gave me an expanded view of how different types of protests occur. Originally, I just assumed there had to be picket lines and angry people with signs for it to be a protest. As I continued to work on this project, I learned that protest art is just as moving as the megaphones and fired up people who have taken to the streets. In many ways, it is more moving because it is a piece of life that will last forever. There will always be the memory of a physical protest but when in art form it is a piece of life that has been created to last. A voice in physical form.
I plan to use this project in my media capstone project for next semester called “The Many Faces of Black America”, it is a documentary of my experiences learning about black culture through an academic the viewpoint of a predominantly Hispanic university and the struggles of representation I face on a regular basis. However, I will be posting this on my Tumblr page as well as I am trying to have it installed in the mini-show for media students taking photography and foundations of media.
I have included a link to my powerpoint here:   file:///C:/Users/TLC/Downloads/Just%20another%20statistic.pdf 
as well as the youtube link to my video titles My story: Damien Barnett- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18D9X1MeOvM
 he is a mentor and friend of mine who was kind enough to share his experience with police at an early age and some of the feelings that are attached to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment