Sunday, November 24, 2019

Post 3

Besem Etta - Ashu

Post 3 - Inspiration

November 27, 2019

Final Project



My final project is about women empowerment, which would be portrayed in the form of a poster. The poster will be painted in a Nature themed and in the middle of the poster will be three different races of women Muslim, African, and Asian. I choose this set of races because they face the most discrimination and have to work ten times harder to get just a little recognition. I wanted to draw a Hispanic woman as well and include the Hispanic race in my final project but it is quite difficult to differentiate a Hispanic woman from white in the form of drawing, at least my drawings. 

I also wanted to have a written piece to go with the poster. The written piece is to explain the poster and the deep meaning of why I decided to make such a poster in the first place. I began searching and looking at other activist artist women of color in order to gather some sense of a strongly written piece to bring out that creative side of me so I would be able to empower my audience of fellow women to be proud of who they are. I looked at artists such as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie who is honestly no doubt an incredible writer. 

I tried writing several versions of what I was trying to portray through the poster for my project but nothing I wrote seem right, it was missing something that I just couldn't get right. I was not just getting the motivation or strong enough words that I had hoped my written piece would have or at least contain. The overall message that I would like my written piece to convey is all women are phenomenal in their unique individual ways that define who they are as an individual. 

Women are extraordinary beings that hold the carry the seeds of life and prosperity for generations and generations to come. Women are queens who should be treated with the highest of respects and deserve nothing less than the most extravagant of all gifts. No shade of black or brown or any skin tone is exactly the same. Although it might look like all black or brown people might have the same complexion, that is not true, we all different and so is our skin tones. 

After reading several written pieces by activist artists of color who empower women to feel comfortable in their own skin, I remember the poem that made me feel comfortable in my own skin, Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou. Maya Angelou is one of the most legendary exceptional incredible writers of all time. She really knows how to connect to her audience with her words as well as make them feel a sense of great importance and worth. I decided to choose this poem because it uplifted me in times when I really felt down and was giving up on everything. This poem made me feel self-worth and truly important not just to others but to myself. That is exactly what I would love my audience to feel and experience as they read through this incredible poem. I want them to keep their heads lifted up high and never fall to negativity thoughts or words that may come their way because they are phenomenal women and phenomenal women they will always be.













































No comments:

Post a Comment